Thursday, January 31, 2013

Costume Tutorial: Plump Pumpkin

Last Halloween my bigger boy wanted to be a monkey so I snatched up a super cheap costume at Old Navy (they carry a pretty cute assortment every year and they usually go on sale before Halloween, just FYI :). 

I'm all about dressing the babes in things that I know they won't want to wear later and I never like to spend a ton, who knows if they will be awake to wear it...so...the Plump Pumpkin costume was born. It was easy and relatively quick. The wedges take a bit of time, but the 3D texture is totally worth it. This is a good project to do during naptime with a few episodes of Downton Abbey rolling!

Can anyone resist a little, fat baby dressed as a pumpkin?

You Need: 
1 Yard of orange fleece and a few scraps of green (I had some leftover, but add a little extra if you're
      making a larger version, my little guy was wearing about a 3 month size here)
polyfill or scrap batting
snaps (sew on or with a snap setter, you could probably get away with velcro)
matching thread, sewing machine, etc...
*Sleeper, sweatpants, tights or other clothing of your choice to go under the costume. I had a cute orange and black striped sleeper that worked perfectly. What we are making here is sort of a jumper. 

To Make:
1. Build the Foundation
Note: You could skip this step if you have an orange onesie-bought or dyed-that you want to use.


2. Make the wedges
Each wedge is two pattern pieces sewn with right sides together. Leave a small opening to turn right sides out and stuff with polyfill or scrap batting. Then stitch the opening closed. They should look like crazy carrots...

The number and size of the wedges depends on the size of your child and your preferred spacing. I wanted them very close together and the largest two are a little longer than the length from neck to crotch opening.

I used two extra large, four large, four medium and two small wedges. You want to end up with this.


The largest center wedge reaches from the neckline to the crotch opening (one in front and one in back), then they descend in size-the smallest being under each arm. Use the onesie to estimate the length of your wedges, width is up to you. Here they are all laid out so you can get a feel for the variation in size and how many you will need (these are sewn together but not stuffed yet).

After you complete the wedges, pin them in place on your foundation onesie (photo above), adjust as needed and sew them on by hand. I just did a few little hidden stitches at the top and bottom of each wedge. You could get fancy and sew them on in other spots as well or use some fabric glue, it really just depends on how you want them to lay, how active your child is and how finicky you are as a sewist/mama. I didn't mind a little twistage. :)



Fun, simple costume with lots of room to personalize. Link back and leave comments or send pics if you make one! I'd love to see it!


I'll be back this week or next with the hat pattern and tutorial! Gotta love a pumpkin hat!


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! You talk about pattern pieces here but I'm not seeing a pattern linked. Is there one available? I'd love to make this for my baby for Halloween! Also: is there a hat tutorial anywhere?

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete